Travis Scott’s Nike sneaker launch postponed after Astroworld tragedy

0

Travis ScottNike’s upcoming collaboration with sneaker giant Nike has been postponed.

“Out of respect for everyone affected by the tragic events of the Astroworld Festival, we are postponing the launch of the Air Max 1 x Cactus Jack,” read a statement on Nike’s SNKRS app.

According to Complex, the rapper’s collab included two new sneaker designs that were set to drop on December 16.

ASTROWORLD TRAGEDY HIGHLIGHTS LIVE NATION TRIAL HISTORY

The launch of the Air Max 1 x Cactus Jack wasn’t the first project Scott worked on with Nike. The outlet reports that Scott first teamed up with Nike in 2017 with the Air Force 1.

A general view of the atmosphere during Travis Scott’s second annual Astroworld Festival at NRG Park on November 9, 2019 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Gary Miller/Getty Images)

Scott’s highly anticipated Astroworld Festival, which kicked off on November 5, ended in tragedy when 10 people died and hundreds more were injured following a reported surge in crowds.

Authorities said 50,000 people attended the event in Houston, Texas. On 300 people were treated at an on-site field hospital in NRG Park, and at least 13 were later hospitalized after a wave of crowds. The 10 confirmed dead were between 9 and 27 years old.

“Heartbroken for those lost and touched at Astroworld tonight,” Live Nation, an entertainment company that hosted the event at Astroworld, said in a Nov. 6 tweet. “We will continue to provide as much information and assistance as possible to local authorities as they investigate the situation.”

LIVE NATION STOCK FALLS AFTER ASTROWORLD TRAGEDY

In a joint Nov. 8 update, Live Nation, Astroworld and the Texas-based nonprofit ScoreMore, owner of the Astroworld venue, said the three entities behind the concert had cooperated with the law enforcement to assist in their investigation.

“Our staff have met with local authorities to provide information, and we have also provided them with all footage from our CCTV cameras,” the companies said in the statement, adding that customers will receive a full refund for their tickets and that the injured will have medical expenses covered.

Travis Scott’s upcoming sneaker launch with Nike has been postponed following the Astroworld tragedy. (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP/AP Images)

Although investigations have only just begun, more than a dozen lawsuits have been filed so far against Scott, Live Nation and ScoreMore. Complaints allege organizers failed to take simple crowd control measures, improperly staffed staff and failed to act at the first signs of trouble during the sold-out concert.

Experts expect dozens of lawsuits for damages of up to hundreds of millions of dollars.

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE ROAD BY CLICKING HERE

The Houston tragedy comes nearly two years after the COVID-19 pandemic halted band events, including concerts. In August 2020, the publicly traded company reported a loss of $588.1 million in the second quarter. Revenue for three months – ending June 30 – totaled just $74.1 million, marking a shocking 97% drop from the same period in 2019.

A pedestrian crosses Main Street past a sign announcing the cancellation of Astroworld on Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021, in Houston. Several people died and many others were injured in what officials described as a wave of crowds playing music (Michael Wyke/AP Pictures)

About a year later, in the summer of 2021, Live Nation began promoting more concerts and revenue picked up.

Representatives for Scott did not immediately respond to Fox Business’ request for comment on the postponement of his collaboration with Nike.

The rapper is “still actively exploring lines of communication” with families affected by the tragedy, according to a statement from his reps obtained by Fox News on Thursday.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT FOX BUSINESS

“Over the past week, Travis Scott and his team have actively explored avenues of connection with each family affected by the tragedy through appropriate liaisons,” the statement continued. “He is devastated by the situation and desperately wants to share his condolences and get them help as soon as possible, but wants to remain respectful of each family’s wishes on how they would best like to be connected.”

“Families wishing to contact his team directly, please email the address below where we will have a team on hand to assist you,” the statement continued before adding the address [email protected] .

FOX Business’ Jessica Napoli, Andrew Craft, Tyler McCarthy and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Share.

Comments are closed.